Introduction to Teaching - EDU 2101
This course will provide future teachers with a deeper understanding of and better preparation for the teaching profession by weaving in three themes central to teaching today--professionalism, diversity, and reform. Two central questions frame the text: "Do I want to be a teacher?” and "What kind of teacher do I want to become?”. Classroom-based cases and interactive features will help you reflect on your responses to topics such as the implications of increasingly diverse classrooms, and the assessment and standards-driven educational climate.
Core Education Courses
- Students will Identify and understand differences and commonalities within diverse cultures
- Develop an overview ofschool systems at the early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school levels and different cultures
- Strengthen decision-making skills within a context of complex situations where there may not be a match between theory and practice
- Enhance professional performance by critically examining values, beliefs, and strategies that facilitate the learning of all students
- Examine personal motivation for choosing education as a major
Building a Better Teacher: How Teaching Works (and How to Teach It to Everyone). Elizabeth Green, 2014.